PJ.05 Remote Tower - Remote Tower for Multiple Airports
Project category - High Performing Airport Operations
Oro navigacija contributes to two PJ.05 Solutions:
• Solution PJ.05-02 – Remotely Provided Air Traffic Service for Multiple Aerodromes for up to three airports
Solution PJ.05-02 – Remotely Provided Air Traffic Service for Multiple Aerodromes for up to three airports
Solution Scope: the solution will enable an ATCO to maintain situational awareness and provide Aerodrome Control Service for 2 or 3 aerodromes simultaneously, with the following indicative traffic characteristics:
• 2 airports with 6 simultaneous movements or 3 airports with 4 simultaneous movements;
• 10 to 20 movements (ground and air) per hour in total for all airports.
The solution considers advanced features of the visual reproduction as well as additional voice services being integrated into the Multiple Remote Tower Module (MRTM).
Intended Benefits: compared to the predecessor remote tower solutions of SESAR 1 (the first SESAR programme, ran from 2008 to 2016), more significant impacts in cost-efficiency is expected with Multiple Remote Tower, for small and medium sized airports.
Rural, less frequented airports are supported to retain in operations or even to increase the service levels for more hours of operations or even to upgrade non-controlled to controlled airports, what in the end, the passengers will benefit from.
Solution PJ.05-03 – Highly Flexible Allocation of Aerodromes to Multiple Remote Tower Modules
Solution Scope: the solution will enable the provision of remote tower services to a large number of airports from one Remote Tower Centre (RTC), housing one or several Multiple Remote Tower Modules (MRTM), thanks to complementary approaches:
• Advanced automation functionalities are added in each MRTM (e.g. conformance monitoring, task prioritisation) to allow the ATCO to maintain situational awareness and provide Air Traffic Service for up to 3 aerodromes simultaneously, with the following indicative traffic characteristics:
• 3 airports with 6 to 8 simultaneous movements;
• 20 to 30 movements (ground and air) per hour in total for all airports combined.
• A RTC supervisor managing flexible and dynamic allocation of airports connected to the different MRTMs over time, in order to balance aerodromes and traffic volumes to each MRTM, with the support of a RTC planning tool.
• An harmonisation of systems and procedures in the MRTMs/RTC making it easier for the ATCOs to hold endorsements for more than 3 airports.
Intended Benefits: compared to the solution PJ.05-02, still more significant impacts in cost-efficiency, flexibility and service tailored ATS are expected; less MRTMs might be provided due to a synergy in the required backup MRTMs.
PJ.05-02 is led by LFV (air nagvigation service provider of Sweden and COOPANS consortium member), PJ.05.03 – by DFS (air nagvigation service provider of Germany). The contributors of these Solutions are: Eurocontrol, air nagvigation service providers ENAV (Italy), Austro Control (Austria), Hungarocontrol (Hungary), Croatia Control (Croatia) ir NLR (The Netherlands), aviation industry and technology companies INDRA (Spain), FREQUENTIS (Austria), SAAB (Sweden), LEONARDO (Italy), research institute DLR (Germany).
Duration of PJ.05: from November 2016 to December 31, 2019. The Project will be considered completed after evaluation of results of defined exercises and approval of the Solutions‘ deliverables by the SESAR Joint Untertaking (SJU).
PJ.05 Remote Tower for Multiple Airports
Project Acronym: PJ.05 Remote Tower
SE „Oro navigacija“
Balio Karvelio Str. 25, LT-02184 Vilnius
Company code: 210060460
VAT code: LT100604610
Tel.: +370 706 94 502,
Fax.: +370 706 94 522,